Monday, March 16, 2009

Who put the dip in the dip de dip de dip?

I made two vegan dips for my party the other night and the vegan in the family did not eat them in the amount that I thought they should have been eaten. Not to worry. Instead of eating them as a dip, I ate them with a spoon the next day. In fact, my first husband and I took turns eating them with our spoons while standing up next to the refrigerator. But the vegan in the family was too busy singing to do any eating.
Both were crudite dips - not for potato chips or tostitos.
I took a recipe from Jane Brody and changed it a bit so that it was vegan. I thought it was delicious.
3/4 cup of lentils (I used split red lentils)
3 cups water
olive oil
Big onion sliced thin
2 Tablespoons of pine nuts
salt
pepper

First, heat a frying pan and when hot, put in the oil. Next put in the sliced onions and turn the heat to LOW. Cook very slowly for at least 45 minutes until the onions are nice and limp and brown.
While the onions are cooking, put the water in a pot with the lentils and cook for 35 minutes over medium low heat. Drain.
Put the onions and lentils in a food processor with the pine nuts, salt and pepper. Pulse it a few times until it is all well blended.

I will return. Going to see Melinda Page Hamilton on a new show called Castle on ABC. Melinda is my favorite actress.

1 comment:

  1. you're back! can i help it that the party was too much fun for me to remember food?

    ReplyDelete