Thursday, March 26, 2009

Trying Hard to Eat Well ......Not Succeeding

Eating well is hard. By eating well, I do not mean eating expensively. I mean eating foods that have real nutrition in them.
Convenience (so called) foods did not become the norm because making it yourself is so easy. In fact, in the 60's there was a famous cookbook called "The I Hate To Cook Cookbook" and the author, Peg Bracken, became famous for her easy recipes. She relied on using bullion cubes and canned things along with chopped onion or celery to give some sense of freshness to her dishes. Cooking has always been difficult and time consuming but now it is harder still because working full time and getting a proper meal on the table takes energy that may be depleted by 6 PM. Then again I am not a spring chicken. OOOPs-this is a vegan blog. Sorry about the chicken analogy.

As I said, eating well is hard. The cooking is the easy part. The tedious part is all the preparation. Take Gypsy Soup for instance. It only cooks in about 20 minutes. But it is 45 minutes of cutting stuff up. It also uses canned stock and canned tomatoes.

Let me just say something about canned vegetable stock vs. fresh.
Use the canned.
Making fresh vegetable stock is just too much work for so little outcome.

So in endeavoring to eat well, you are going to have to compromise somewhere or else spend the whole of your life cooking.

It is 10 PM and I am off to bed. I will post two recipes tomorrow or the next day. They will be Gypsy Soup and Lentil Soup. Both are scrumptious.

No comments:

Post a Comment