Friday, March 6, 2009

Ramblings

Is anyone reading my blog? I am feeling a bit lonely out here in cyberspace.
This week I made sofrito which is a Puerto Rican flavoring something like the Italian battuto. I also flavored some olive oil with achiote seeds and then cooked the world's most flavorfull rice. Oh how good it was, but it had 1/4 cup of achiote seed flavored olive oil in it. My first husband and I inhaled it.
(My first husband is actually my only husband and we are still married. But calling him that makes me feel modern and movie star-ish)

My first husband also devoured the beans cooked in the sofrito mixture. There is just something about cilantro and its stronger cousin, "culantro" or "recaito". It has a warm flavor that intoxicates me.

Sofrito
two onions cut in big chunks
whole head of garlic peeled
4 to 5 peppers - mix cubanelle and red peppers
whole bunch of cilantro washed thoroughly
4 leaves of culantro or sometimes called recaito
two fresh plum tomatoes

Blend it all together in a processor and put 1/2 cup portions into zip lock sandwhich bags. You can freeze them. When you need to use it, just rip open the bag and throw the frozen sofrito in the pot. It will melt quickly in whatever you are cooking.

Last night, I threw the frozen sofrito into a pot with two cans of vegetable stock and threw a big can of black beans into it. Heated it through and poured it over some rice. OMG!!! I thought it was too salty but my first husband did not. So it is a matter of taste. If you cannot find a big can of beans, use two smaller cans. or soak the beans overnight if you have time.

5 comments:

  1. I am reading and this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and i promote you on vegan cooking blogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fear not Mrs.Tumbleson, you have many followers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading! I am learning how to cook from your blog and it's fantastic. Thanks for the great recipes :) I also enjoy the use of "first husband" which certainly makes this even more fun to read!

    ReplyDelete